My Designer Dream at CoeXYst 2015; UP ACTS Fashion Competition Year 3

"Dreams come true if you really want them to"



UP Association of Clothing Technology Students (UP ACTS) holds a fashion design competition every year for young students in the metro who have passion for fashion. This year, they had CoeXYst, where in contestants should design two, ready-to-wear androgynous outfits (meaning they could be worn by male and/or female), and being able to interpret this year's theme GENDER EQUALITY.

I joined. I've just learned about this a week before the submission of entries, and telling you now that even though I have been blogging for four years (and counting) and I've been trying to design ever since high school, that it wasn't easy for me to come up with outfits that would look good in the runway. You have to consider a lot of things, first would be the design. Google images and online fashion websites were my bestfriends during that time since I had to do research about androgynous outfit, what is ready-to-wear (more than just the term) and be creative on how to incorporate gender equality.
Next it is said in T&C that we'll be having a fabric shopping and patahi experience, so we'll be the one to choose and buy our fabric and let someone sew the outfit.  I was thinking, how many types of fabric do I know? "KNOW" means I know the texture, the look and the structure.  Maybe just a handful.  Some people wouldn't really care much about the type of fabric they are wearing, but as a designer, you have to know there are a lots of SHEER fabric out there, not just CHIFFON and MESH.
My next problem is that, as many of you know, I have minimal drawing skills... and to tell you, I had lots of drafts before I got the designs I wanted. For that one week I had to learn "basic" drawing and digital design (thank you blogs!) since I'm more comfortable in digital design. So I had to make a sketch of my outfit on a paper, scan it and enhance the details on Photoshop. Whew! I still can't draw model hands and feet though. T.T

I felt like having a one week crash course in fashion design! WOW!

But anyway, I managed to submit my designs on the deadline! Crossed my fingers! Hoping not only to be chosen but also, if I got to be, I hope the designs would turn out well in real life!


After a month, I was chosen as a finalist! I can't contain my excitement during the designers' orientation wherein I was able to meet other designer finalists and the organizers, photoshoot and fabric shopping/patahi experience! Taytay Textile Market is the place to be for bargain cloths!!!! 
LOOK AT ALL THESE FABRIC!!! At Taytay Textile Market!



During the shopping we were accompanied by Clothing Technology students to guide us in choosing our fabrics. I initially thought that it would be easy for me to find the fabrics for my designs since the place got a wide variety of fabrics, but I WAS WRONG. We all experienced searching at the deepest and darkest corners of the stalls, touching every fabric we see, asking for "tastas" (a cut sample of the fabric), and finding the kuyas to cut a yard  of our chosen fabric. The unforgettable one for me was that my design includes a rainbow bandeau, and I thought I would just find and ask for some rainbow batik fabric, then I figured out that a batik cloth with seven colors would be as close to impossible to find since it's not easy to perfectly dip-dye a cloth. HOW WOULD I KNOW THAT. Well, since I couldn't drop that detail in my design, I really have to find a closest thing they have in there. Thankfully, we found one batik with four colors of red, orange, yellow and violet. Better than nothing though.

 Fabric swatches on my designs
 During the patahi place at Marikina, the designers need to explain the designs to a seamstress. You have to tell which fabrics should be used in certain parts of your design and the specific details of how you want it to look like.


That day I was able to bond with other designers and we all went through a challenging day!

The most awaited moment for us would be the FINAL GALA NIGHT which was held at the Prime Upscale Club at Tomas Morato last March 21.

The five designer finalists along with their designs will walk the runway! 


                                                
                                               OOTN! An Arnold Galang dress for the night!


Of course, it won't be a competition without the esteemed judges!

Judges: (L-R) Gelo Salonga, Brian Tenorio and RJ Santos
The following are the designer finalists and their designs.

First designer: Jennica Arboleda

                 
Jennica had a trouble finding for the Marsala red fabric for the coat and I think we have the same fabric for the pants.

Second designer: Tito Pavia

                                         
Tito's inspiration is the Greek mythology! That's cool!

Third designer: Czarina Anonuevo
       

      Androgynous Rewind! Filipino indigenous clothes designed to be worn by both male and female!




Fourth designer: Moriela Morandarte (That's me!!)
Here's mine! The MissY collection!
Minimalist combination of white sheer and black structured fabrics with rainbow accents.
  
There's a rainbow bandeau underneath the pinstriped white polo and Y-suspenders.

     
Paneled sheer polo with rainbow belt!



I SO LOVE THIS SHOT!
Fifth designer: Bogs Montilla

Peg is all white!



Many didn't know that we almost had a problem with my designed outfits, first the bandeau was falling and Riana (first model) was worried it might fall while she's walking. Thanks for the safety pins! Second, they can't find the rainbow belt for Khrystal (second model) and we are already in the third designer! But they manage to find it while Riana's walking! Whew!

Here are my beautiful models! Thanks for wearing my designs!


Riana Pangidian and Khrystal Jose

OKAY THIS IS A DESIGNER-MODELS PICTURE. WHOO!!

During that moment I realized that being a fashion designer doesn't end at the moment you see the finished clothes. You have to choose your models properly and be concerned about them and how the clothes fit them. Although they'll only wear them once, you must make sure that they are comfortable and confident wearing your designs!

After a few segments, they finally announced the winners!

For 2nd Runner-up,
IT'S ME!!!!
YAAAAY!!!!




The 1st Runner-up,
CZARINA ANONUEVO!


And for the Grand winner,
it's BOGS MONTILLA!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL! That was a night was really overwhelming of congratulatory remarks, as what happens during the Philippine Fashion Week, but then I just realized how it really feels like being congratulated as a designer, and thanking them as well. As this gratitude comes from the heart, we know that people appreciated what we have created.
All work has been paid off and for me all designs were amazing!

I also want to congratulate UP ACTS for this successful event, as this opened an opportunity for us to exhibit our talent and passion for fashion. Can't wait for next year!




And as I always say, this was just a dream of mine before, and thankfully I didn't stop doing it, and here I am. Hope this would serve an inspiration to those aspiring fashion designers out there, whether as a hobby or as a profession, or in general, JUST KEEP REACHING YOUR DREAMS!

Thanks to my friends, family and all the people who came to support and watch!
This is only the beginning we hope!


Love,
Momo

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.