The 5th Taste

I wasn't really fond of Japanese food since all I know about them is sushi and wasabi which flavors don't appeal to me much haha. Just recently I discovered some Japanese dishes, including a whole lot more variations of sushi, tonkatsu, karaage, and tamago. Seeing that they are now "harmless" to my taste, I feel exploring more on them!

Here's The 5th Taste, a resto offering modern Japanese cuisine in P. Guevarra St., San Juan . I had the chance to try out their bestsellers and guess what? I loved them so much I want to go back with my friends to eat there again! Seriously!




So what made me say that? Well, initially I got intimidated since I was just starting to appreciate the cuisine and tasting like 8 Japanese dishes is just overwhelming to me. You know, in my course you don't just eat, you dine and experience.

The 5th Taste is located at the second floor of Tamayaki.
The place looks simple and sophisticated with modern, wooden furnishings. I like how the ambiance feels comfy and open, that bringing a large group is really a cool idea.



Here's the menu of what we tasted.




Soup starter is the Deconstructed Miso Soup
Miso broth, silken tofu and pork floss
Tofu and savory taste with that distinct taste of miso broth. Not really fond of the taste but I like how it was "deconstructed" so that the flavors could come out individually. But for me, it's nice that we started with soup because it readies our stomach for the succeeding dishes and some of them are fried.



California Maki Furai


 My fave! I used to skip on these, but now I wonder why because I loved them! Goodness of the California rolls, but fried and drizzled with yummy Japanese mayo. (BTW, loving Japanese mayo now too). These are also quite much for one person I think, for me, so share away!


Tofu Steak



The crowd fave during that food tasting was this Tofu Steak in Mirin sauce. Crispy on the outside but soft (tofu) on the inside which blends well with sweet, tangy Mirin sauce. You will never forget the mouth feel and the lingering taste of this!

Kani Salad Pizza

Worth a try especially if you want something healthy and fresh and you're not allergic to crabs. Light taste with shredded kani, fresh cucumber and carrot ribbons, mozzarella and Japanese mayo. Like the idea of "healthy pizza" plus it's also good for sharing! I would go back for this and let my friends try this out too!


5th Taste Lasagna

Layers of pasta, bolognese, cheese and Teriyaki bechamel
Lasagna! With Nori in between! I have a friend who loves Nori so I think I'll let her try this one. Same lasagna taste but with that hint of seaweed taste.


Mirin Chicken ala Pobre

Basically, it's like chicken teriyaki but instead of teriyaki, it's mirin sauce. Savory and quite salty but the veggies blends well to neutralize the taste.



          Jalapeno Cream Cheese Onion Tonkatsu
         

                                                           
                Tonkatsu! Like the Japanese slaw and the jalapeno cream cheese onion sauce! Not overpowering, the blend of spice and creaminess is okay to the taste.




                                                     For our dessert, we had Sansrival.


Melt in the mouth, sweet goodness. The portion size is quite good. I hope they'll have more dessert options like mochi or brownies!

Overall, my 5th Taste experience was great. The food and the taste wasn't overwhelming, considering I'm just slowly venturing into Japanese food. The food appealed to my taste and preference. The price is a bit over the student budget but I recommend going there in groups because some are good for sharing!

They have variety of Japanese meals; soup, appetizers, chicken, beef, pork, seafood, ramen, and as also seen above so you have lots of choices depending on your diet. The serving is worth the price in my opinion.
You just might have problem going there or finding the place but, I could say that if you're nearby or passing around the area, spending your lunch or dinner there with friends would be a good idea.
      For a budget of P150-P300/per person, yes, I'll go back there with my friends soon! Knowing the taste profiles of my friend, I know they will also like the food here!

Whatcha think? For more info, check out their FB page! The 5th Taste < https://www.facebook.com/5thTastePh >

Love,

MoMo



No comments:

Powered by Blogger.